Thursday, December 04, 2008

No Fear

At church last night, I watched Nathaniel during the prayer time, so Rosemary could pray with the others, and I learned something that freaked me out - he has no fear.

I already kind of knew that, in theory, but it really hit me yesterday when he tried to run down the stairs in our church building about 10 times, and would have seriously hurt himself if I hadn't been there to catch him.

Back in the day, everyone had those shirts that said "No Fear!" After seeing in Nathaniel what it looks like for a person to really have "No Fear!", I have to say that you'd really have to be an idiot to think its a cool thing to have "No Fear!"

As usual, the Biblical perspective is the most balanced:
for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 2.Tim 1:7
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov 1:7

In other words - we shouldn't be controlled by fear or let it cripple us from moving forward or doing right things, but we must have a healthy kind of fear, which keeps us from doing things which are destructive or stupid.

I hope Nathaniel gets this healthy kind of fear ASAP, because he's scaring me with those stairs!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he will be a stunt man someday? He can call himself "Nate the Great!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you never share that idea with him!

    ReplyDelete