Friday, March 01, 2013

Snowshoeing in RMNP

The good thing about having things is that it creates an itch to use them.
Last year I got a pair of snowshoes as a gift, and earlier this year we bought a national parks pass that's good for a year. There are few things I like more than the feeling that I've gotten my money's worth out of something, so after a big dump of snow I got up in Rocky Mountain National Park with some friends and snowshoed up to Emerald Lake.
It was about a 3.5 mile hike round trip with an elevation gain of about 1000 ft. The views were stunning - I highly recommend it, but make sure you don't go alone. We found that it was really easy to get lost, because in the snow it can be very hard to find the trail, and very easy to get lost. In fact, while we were up there search and rescue teams were looking for a Texas man who went hiking alone and got lost. Bad idea. Nature can be both beautiful and brutal.
Dream Lake with Hallet Peak on the left
The view of Longs Peak on our way back

 

No comments:

Post a Comment