Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Life Verses

On Sundays I'm teaching through the book of Acts in the church. One of my favorite sections of the book is Paul's 3rd missionary journey, where he goes to Ephesus, and spends over 2 years there planting a church and teaching the Bible. Somehow I feel like I can relate to that.

Sunday, I got to teach Ch 20 - where Paul says goodbye to the Ephesian elders, and holds a mini "Christian Leadership Conference" with them.
And there in Ch 20, there are a couple verses which I really love; Paul says:
And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20:22-24)

I consider this one of my "Life Verses."
I know that term sounds a bit cliché, and I don't like using Christian clichés, but it does describe well what I'm trying say.
What I mean by it is - those verses which have shaped your life, or influenced the way you live your life.

Personally, I remember that when I was praying about whether or not I should move to Hungary, one night I was reading my Bible, and I read this verse, and it just jumped of the page and tackled me! And I said - God, I want to have that same attitude that Paul had - that the most important thing in his life was not his own comfort, but to serve the Lord and make His Grace known to others.
God has used this verse to shape my life.

What about you? What are some of your "Life Verses," which God has used to shape your life?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:52 PM

    romans8:28 helped me through a lot of hard times

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on.
    I hope you're having a nice time in the States!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, and not sacrifice;and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

    This is my life verse. It tells me what is God's expectation and that what should i do.To love everyone and know God more and more and more.I was really confused at that time when i found these verses about what I HAVE TO do. So God showed me what...It put everything in my life on the right foundation and helps me a lot now as well.
    In the Hungarian Bible we have love instead of mercy but i think it is not so far from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani!
    That's a great verse and a great testimony.
    Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete