Friday, May 08, 2009

Not a Fan

I'm going to be honest: I am not a fan of "God" on Facebook. Nor am I a fan of "Prayer".
I am however a fan of sushi and LOST and coffee.
I must admit that I did feel a twinge of guilt as I clicked the X and made the "God" group disappear from my Facebook page's list of suggested friends and groups. But then about half a second later I was over it.
Why is it that I am a fan of sushi, LOST, and coffee, but not of "God" and "prayer"?
A few reasons.
  1. My faith is more than being a "fan"
    My love and devotion for God, although imperfect, is infinitely greater than my love and devotion to food and TV shows. For me, putting God in the same list with those things is just not right. I feel like it cheapens and makes novel my love for God to put Him in the same list as Reese's Peanut Butter cups. My commitment to Jesus goes a bit further than being a "fan" on Facebook.
  2. The person who started that group is not God!
    That's not actually God running that group; its just some person with a laptop!
    So there is no reason for me to feel bad about not joining their group. It doesn't mean that I don't love God, just that I don't feel obligated to be a "fan" of Him by joining some person's group that they set up on a social networking site.
  3. Guilt trips are dumb.
    I bet there are a lot of people who become a fan of God on Facebook, because they feel guilty clicking that X and making it go away - as if by doing so, they are denying God.
    This is just like those mass emails that say at the end that if you don't pass this email on to 10 people, then you are ashamed of Jesus, and therefore he will be ashamed of you - i.e. if you don't forward this email, there is a very good chance you are going to hell!
    That's manipulation, and spiritual manipulation to boot - and I'm quite sure that God isn't down with that.
    I never pass on those emails. And I have no fear that I am going to hell, because I understand that my testimony of Jesus is not about whether or not I forward emails to people that say things that I would never write myself, just because I feel guilted into doing it.
If you are a "fan" of "God" on Facebook - right on. I hope you are a follower and worshiper of Him in real life too!

2 comments:

  1. Guilt trips do suck, that's why I always delete that part and then forward. :D

    ReplyDelete