Saturday, May 23, 2009

Stuff I Love - Part 1

I am in Denver right now. I have jet-lag, and I woke up this morning at 4am local time, after sleeping for 3 hrs.
This past week, I've been thinking about a few things I love. The more I thought about it, the more things came to my mind. Here goes:
  • Mountain biking
    Spring time in Eger, means mountain biking. It also means rain, so that can make the mountain biking all the more fun/dirty/hard. I went for a 4hr ride in the local mountains this week, and took a few spills because it was slippery, and came home so muddy that I had wash, rinse, and repeat. I had mud all over my face, even between my eyes. Rosemary was really happy about this, as you can imagine :)
    But it is such a good feeling to race through the forrest on a mountain bike. I seriously can't understand why people like fishing. It seems to me like glorified sitting, and a good way to get a sunburn. Mountain biking is the sport for me.
  • Eger and the surrounding mountains
    When I lived in Debrecen and took the train up to Eger every week, people in Eger would tell me how they could never live in Debrecen, and how much they couldn't stand the alföld (plains). I didn't really understand at that time what was so bad about the alföld - but now I understand. People from Eger are a bit upity because they live in a nice place, but I'm cool with that, because people in Colorado are the same way.
    The Bükk and Mátra mountains aren't really high or spectacular, but they are perfect for mountain biking and hiking around. Its nice to live close to them.
  • That there are guys in our church who love the Lord and like to do "man stuff"
    When we first started the church a few years ago, most of the church was girls from the college in Eger. Sometimes I would be the only guy at the Bible study. I thought of changing the name to "Nick's Women's Ministry". I remember how for the first year or two that we lived in Eger, I would get bummed out because there weren't really guys for me to hang out with and do "man stuff" with.
    One of our prayer requests for a long time was to have more men and families in the church, and that is a prayer that God has been answering! I even hear the girls in the church complain that there are too many guys in the church, and we need more ladies! I don't think the situation is that bad - I think its finally balanced out to where it should be.
    I remember something Mark Driscoll said about churches - If you win the men, you win the war. I think there's a lot of truth to that.
    In June our church will have its first "Men's Day", we are going to get together as men, shoot each other with paintballs, eat kolbász (sausage), and study about what it means to be a man according to the Bible. I am so looking forward to it I could barf!
    I love it that there are guys in the church that I can do "man stuff" with, like mountain bike, play football, punch each other in the arm, etc...

    Here's a classic video of men doing man stuff:

5 comments:

  1. We're happy for you arrived safely in Co.
    I'm glad you went mountain biking with my bro, finally it was good to see his clothes and face muddy :) He did enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time too! I like hanging out with him. I hope that we can do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh funny, old, girly times with "Nicole" bácsi, I learnt a lot at Bible study (being a fresh Christian),sorry we didn't find any Christian guys at college at that time, but it changed, in Mekdsz there are more boys now than girls...
    But I still like to look back a little bit for the old times, I still remember when you taught Galatians and everything was so new and fresh for me. So every time is valuable in/ for Jesus. Is that right? God Bless your time in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my bro definietly wants to hang out with you, too

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome; I remember how in those early days everything was so new for you and you received it and soaked it all up like a sponge :)
    Those were good times, but you are right - every stage of the Christian experience has its value.
    Thanks for the kind wishes. All the best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete