Monday, September 21, 2009

Really Important


I don't do it very often, but the other day I read a blog that made some blatantly wrong claims about the Bible's teachings about the place of the local church in Christianity, so I wrote back a detailed response, with lots of Bible verses and explanations - even going into the meaning of certain words in Greek...
Then the next day, I checked the blog again, only to find that I had not convinced the person I addressed the comment to that they were wrong and I was right. I realized that spending so much time on that comment was kind of a waste of time. I don't it was totally in vain, but it probably wasn't the most fruitful half hour of my life.
Last Sunday I taught from 1 Corinthians 15 about the hope of heaven, and the last verse of the chapter says this:
Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
There are a lot of vain things that I/we spend our time on, and one of the things I'm learning to do lately is to cut out a lot of the vanity from my schedule. It robs my time with my wife and kids, with the church, and with the Lord.
I start school again today, which means that more than ever I will need to cut the vain things out of my schedule to be able to balance my different responsibilities.
There is one thing that is never in vain, as this verse tells us: serving the Lord. That's never a waste of time. I want to abound in that, and cut out more and more of the useless vain activity from my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment