Thursday, July 02, 2009

Technology

When I moved to Hungary a few years ago, my parents tried to buy me a laptop. I said no way. I didn't think I wanted one - it was too expensive, and too fancy for my style. At that point I had never owned a mobile phone, and I didn't want much to do with electronics.
Well, I finally agreed to let them buy me a laptop - but only the cheapest and smallest one I found. Then I moved to Hungary and got my first mobile phone - a Trium Astral piece of plastic junk.

A few things have changed since that time.
I have since fully embraced technology. So much so, that I get the shakes if I'm apart from the internet for any length of time.
The one thing I'd never been into was having a nice phone. I thought it was dumb and pointless; after all, phones are for calling people, not for all that other nonsense, right? So, until now I just had cheap phones.
Well, on Monday I finally joined the 21st century and replaced my old phone with a new one. This one can browse the internet, use wifi connection, take videos that are not just one big pixel...
The phone took a bit of getting used to. Its a lot more complicated than the phones I had before, so I called one of the kids from church to come over and show me how to use it - which made me feel a bit like an elderly person who can't figure out how to send an email, but I probably needed that humbling experience. And actually, I know there are a ton of things the phone is capable of doing, which I still have no idea about. That's fine actually, because I won't be replacing it for a long time :)

Yes, I have become this guy:


Amikor Magyarországra költöztem egy pár évvel ezelőtt, a szüleim próbáltak venni nekem egy laptopot. Azt mondtam, hogy semmikép. Azt gondoltam, hogy mineka? - az nekem túl drága és túl luxus. Addig a pontig soha nem volt mobil telefonom, és nem is érdekeltek a műszaki cuccok.
Hát, nagy nehezen beleegyeztem, és megengedtem, hogy laptopot vegyék nekem - de csak a legkisebb és legolcsobb laptopot amit találtam. Aztán elköltöztem Magyarországra és megvettem az első mobilomat - egy Trion Astral műanyag szemét darab.

Azóta egy pár dolog megváltozott.
Már teljesen átöleltem a technológiát. Annyira is, hogy elvonási tűneteim vannak ha nem vagyok net közelében egy ideig.
De az egyetlen dolog ami soha sem jött be nekem az volt, hogy szuper mobil telefonom legyen. Úgy gondoltam, hogy az lényegtelen butaság; hiszen a mobil telefon csak azé kell, hogy tudjak vele telefonálni, nem? Tehát, eddig mindig olcsó telefonjaim voltak.
Hétfőn végre csatlakoztam a 21. századhoz, és vettem egy új mobilt a régi helyett. Ez tud böngészni a neten, wifi-t használni, videókat felvenni amik több mint csak egyetlen egy nagy pixelből állnak...
Egy kicsit nehéz is volt hozzá szokni ehezz az új telefonhoz. Ez sokkal bonyolultabb mint ami eddig volt nekem, úgyhogy szóltam egy fiatal srácnak a gyüliből, hogy jöjjön át és tanítson arra, hogy hogy működik. Egy kicsit úgy éreztem magam mint egy idős ember aki nem tudja kitalálni hogyan kell emailt küldeni, és azért szól egy fiatal embernek, hogy segítsen. De biztos ez által nyertem egy kis alázatosságot. Még mindig van egy csomó minden képessége a telefonomnak, amiről fogalmam sincs. Nem baj, mert úgy sem veszek újat egy jó pár évig :)
Tehát - igen, ezzé az emberré váltam, aki a fenti videóban énekel a menyasszonyának, arról hogy mennyire szereti a technológiát (és őt is):)

2 comments:

  1. High School Aged Kid11:30 AM

    I think having a good phone is not just some game, you can save a lot of money and time with that, e.g. instead of leaving the computer (which needs approemately 100 watts) switched on all the time for Skype and e-mail, you can just leave your phone connected (this phone needs 0,4 watts in idle mode and 1,5 watts while talking with someone on skype), and of course compared to a normal call it is MUCH cheaper. Beside that you can use it for navigation (over GPS), dictaphone, mp3-player, camera (which records very good quality video by the way), and share your internet connection with up to 250 people over wifi. These are all usefull things, which replace a lot of seperate tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I will need some help figuring out how to use the GPS on it and how to share wifi connection. I still feel like an old lady when I try to figure these things out!
    Plus, now I'm not as bored when I have to wait in lines or at the doctor or the hosptial, etc... :)

    ReplyDelete